Nutter made his observations during a 30-minute speech to a majority-black congregation at Mount Carmel Baptist Church on Sunday August 7th. He was chastising the predominantly-black flash mobs who have plagued Philadelphia's downtown area several times during the past year. Speaking directly to black youth, Nutter said "You've damaged yourself, you've damaged another person, you've damaged your peers and, quite honestly, you've damaged your own race. You damaged your own race..." The highlights, as presented by The Blaze (which also provides a video link to Nutter's complete speech:
* “Take those God darn hoodies down, especially in the summer. Pull your pants up and buy a belt ’cause no one wants to see your underwear or the crack of your butt. Nobody.”
* “If you walk into somebody’s office with your hair uncombed and a pick in the back, and your shoes untied, and your pants half down, tattoos up and down your arms and on your neck, and you wonder why somebody won’t hire you? They don’t hire you ’cause you look like you’re crazy!”
* “The Immaculate Conception of our Lord Jesus Christ took place a long time ago, and it didn’t happen here in Philadelphia. So every one of these kids has two parents who were around and participating at the time. They need to be around now.”
* “Parents who neglect their children, who don’t know where they are, who don‘t know what they’re doing, who don‘t know who they’re hanging out with, you’re going to find yourself spending some quality time with your kids in jail.”
* To fathers: “If you’re not providing the guidance,and you’re not sending any money, you’re just a sperm donor.”
The speech was a prelude to an announcement that certain areas of center city Philadelphia are now off limits to minors after 9 P.M. on Fridays and Saturdays. In addition, the city will beef up police patrols in certain neighborhoods, enlisting volunteers to monitor the streets. Parents will face increased fines for each time their child is caught violating the curfew.
Reaction: The local NAACP expressed tepid support. J. Whyatt Mondesire said it took courage for Nutter to deliver the message and admitted that "These are majority African-American youths and they need to be called on it". But Bill Miller, CEO of Ross Associates, expressed more affirmative support, saying that Nutter's decision to speak at his church yesterday demonstrated leadership. "If you want to clean house, start at your own house, so he did," Miller said. "You're talking to people in an organized structure who talk to all kinds of people."
However, when one 16-year-old girl was asked for her reaction, she replied in fluent Ebonics, "I wasn't paying no attention". I wouldn't be surprised if she had been involved in some of the flash mobbing.
Analysis: Undoubtedly, Mayor Nutter may have higher political ambitions, to include a possible run for state office in the future. He knows that to win a state office, he must have the White vote. So this campaign on his part is intended to solidify his credentials. However, Mayor Nutter may be genuinely concerned as well. Former mayor John Street, who was Philly's first black mayor, has criticized Nutter for "not being black enough". In September 2010, along with other complaints, Street noted that Nutter did not pay enough attention to the black community.
Reaction on The Blaze is highly laudatory, with many people looking upon him as the anti-Obama. However, reaction on this Stormfront thread is skeptical at best. From Baronmaximus:
Nutter...that's a perfect name for him.
Ya know, there has to be something, or SOMEONE out there who started all this. I can't imagine that "youths" just started doing this on their own. I'm very curious who is behind it all, who started the trend. Of course I have my suspicions.
Either way, it's only a matter of time until they pull this nonsense in the wrong neighborhood and the folks get tired of the police telling them to "go inside and lock their doors" (which has happened in a couple cases already). People will only tolerate so much before they fight back. Something like this may very well kick off a full-scale race war, which may be what the "founders" of this new flash mob trend wanted.
You simply cannot expect people to be prisoners in their own homes while these thugs take over the streets. It'll likely come down to "if law enforcement won't stop 'em, we will" and that'll be that. So it's a very volatile situation that could quite literally explode at any time.
It's my deepest desire to find a peaceful solution to all this racial strife, but I just don't know if it's going to be possible with huge gangs of blacks running around beating and killing whites. I think these "gangs" have been lucky so far, that they haven't come across a family whose patriarch carries a concealed weapon legally. In my opinion, given the track record of these "youths", he'd be well within his rights to start shooting to protect himself and his family from these thugs. I know *I* damn sure wouldn't find him guilty of wrongdoing and I don't think any rational person would either.