Jury deliberations in the Federal trial of Hal Turner, which began on Friday December 4th and which quickly became deadlocked, were declared deadlocked once again on Monday December 7th, 2009. Consequently, Judge Donald Walter decided that the jury was hopelessly hung and chose to declare a mistrial in the case. Media stories from the New York Times, the Washington Post, and NorthJersey.com. The New York Daily News is also running a poll on the case on its main page. Daryle Lamont Jenkins provides an on-site report on One People's Project. Also picked up by Raw Story; comments solicited, registration not required.
Note: You can review all posts on the Hal Turner Federal trial HERE, with the most recent post appearing first.
The only juror to speak to reporters afterward, 58-year-old Long Island truck driver Richard Gardiner, said the jury voted 9 to 3 in favor of acquittal, with the majority seeing the government's case as weak. He said he held out for a conviction because he did think it was a threat. Gardiner told the Daily News "He's [Turner] a publicity seeker and he wants to be a bigger force than he was. By acquitting him, he would become bigger and stronger." But Gardiner also thinks that the biggest problem in the case was that the prosecution bailed out in the case too early. The jury consisted of five White men, two White women, two Black women, two Latina women and the one Asian man. However, any of the seven Whites could actually be Jews; Jews are considered "white" by mainstream society, despite significant evidence to the contrary.
Once again, prosecutors attempted to get the Asian juror, Wei Wang, identified as a hedge fund manager from Queens, excused from the jury for "improperly directing other jurors during deliberations", but the defense resisted and the judge allowed Wang to remain. The prosecution had previously tried to get Wang excluded because of "excessive devotion to the First Amendment", but those challenges were also rebutted. The 47-year-old Turner left the courthouse without commenting, because Judge Walter's gag order is still in effect.
The gag order remains effective because the case is not dismissed with prejudice, so a second trial is in the offing. Judge Walter has set a new trial date for March 1st, 2010. The case arose earlier this year after three judges from the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals - Richard Posner, Frank Easterbrook and William Bauer - upheld a ruling that dismissed lawsuits challenging handgun bans in Chicago and in suburban Oak Park, Illinois.
Meanwhile, the separate Connecticut state case awaits Turner. He is awaiting trial on state charges, accused of inciting injury to persons for urging blog readers to "take up arms" against state lawmakers there who proposed legislation to give Roman Catholic lay members more control over parish finances.