-- Roanoke Times blog coverage of the entire trial HERE.
-- Roanoke Times blog coverage of Day 5 only HERE.
-- Archive of Roanoke Times print stories of entire case HERE.
-- Vanguard News Network Forum mega-thread HERE.
-- All posts on the Bill White Roanoke trial available HERE, with the most recent post displaying first.
WSLS Channel 10 news video embedded below:
Warman was one of the primary targets of Bill White's activism. On pp 13-15 (as indicated on the document) of the 19-page indictment, White is accused of posting Warman's home address on the Internet and sending him a copy of National Socialist Magazine. He also allegedly republished an article about the firebombing of a Canadian political candidate's home, and urged someone to do the same to Warman. He's also accused of urging people to kill Richard Warman.
However, Richard Warman has a very checkered past himself, which the defense quickly brought out during Warman's four hours on the stand. Although Warman claimed to be "terrorized" by Bill White's activism, Warman admitted under cross examination that he said in a 2005 speech that it was fun to bring legal action against white supremacists under Canada’s human rights act. Warman also said that if he found someone to be particularly annoying, he might move them up on the list a bit. But Warman tried to cover his tracks by saying that “those were two rather weak attempts at humor to keep the audience’s attention.”
Defense attorney David Damico also questioned Warman about his practice of using false names to participate in online discussions among racists in Internet chat rooms. Warman said he was trying to gather intelligence, although he finally conceded that the Canadian Human Rights Commission once said the practice diminished his credibility. Ezra Levant, who is NOT a white nationalist, revealed back in September that Warman himself has been under investigation by the CHRC for hate speech. More details about Warman's use of false names on WN discussion forums to induce illegal activity are published on the Richard Warman website.
Additional abuses by Richard Warman are posted on Dr. David Duke's website as well as on Voice Of Deseret, the latter which shows that Warman hasn't just targeted "racists", but also conservatives.
The expected impact of Warman's testimony is that it could increase the chances of a hung jury, or perhaps an outright acquittal. Jurors are likely to compare the track records of both Bill White and Richard Warman, and wonder why White is being punished for doing the same things that Richard Warman is allowed to do.
During the afternoon hours of the trial, former South Harrison Township (NJ) Mayor Charles Tyson also gave testimony. Tyson said he received a late-night phone call and a subsequent e-mail from Bill White that left him "petrified". White allegedly told Tyson that no black man should govern whites, and that he was going to put a Nazi sign in his front yard.
More background on Richard Warman is necessary to explain why he is considered of such great concern, not only to white nationalist activists, but also to other free speech activists as well. Canadian free speech activist Paul Fromm has further researched and published the impact of Richard Warman on Canadian Human Rights Tribunal cases. He has tracked the cases heard by the CHRT, and provides a statistical sketch of their results on the Freedom-Site, operated by the Canadian Freedom Resource Center. The information is current as of November 2007:
The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal
Active and Past cases: 46
Cases the tribunal ruled on: 37
Total complaints received by CHRC: 100
- 0% of respondents have ever won a section 13 case before the tribunal.
- 100% of cases have Whites as respondents
- 98% of cases have poor or working class respondents
- 90.7% of respondents are not represented by lawyers
- So far, $93,000 has been awarded in fines and special compensation since 2003.
- 35 respondents have lifetime speech bans (Cease and Desist) orders and if not followed the victims could face up to 5 years in prison.
- 72.4% of complaints specifically identify "jews" as victims.
- 48.8% of all cases are by Richard Warman
-- Every Decision on Section 13 case (Active and Past cases), in PDF format.
What permits Richard Warman to initiate these witch-hunts? In this previous post, I presented a brief explanation of Section 13 of the Canadian Human Rights Act, which was designed to prevent the public communication of hate. This section has been the source of constant dispute, since the very definition of "hate" itself has been disputed. Here's the text of Section 13 itself:
13. (1) It is a discriminatory practice for a person or a group of persons acting in concert to communicate telephonically or to cause to be so communicated, repeatedly, in whole or in part by means of the facilities of a telecommunication undertaking within the legislative authority of Parliament, any matter that is likely to expose a person or persons to hatred or contempt by reason of the fact that that person or those persons are identifiable on the basis of a prohibited ground of discrimination.
(2) For greater certainty, subsection (1) applies in respect of a matter that is communicated by means of a computer or a group of interconnected or related computers, including the Internet, or any similar means of communication, but does not apply in respect of a matter that is communicated in whole or in part by means of the facilities of a broadcasting undertaking.
(3) For the purposes of this section, no owner or operator of a telecommunication undertaking communicates or causes to be communicated any matter described in subsection (1) by reason only that the facilities of a telecommunication undertaking owned or operated by that person are used by other persons for the transmission of that matter.
R.S., 1985, c. H-6, s. 13; 2001, c. 41, s. 88.