Friday, September 28, 2007

Allegations Of A "Staged" Fight Between Damian O'Rourke And Seven Black Youths Now Debunked; Anthony Dimarco Told Two Different Stories

Allegations that the fight between white teen Damian O'Rourke and his seven black attackers, which had been floating around for the past couple of days, appear to have been thoroughly debunked, according to a September 28th story in the Hampton Roads Virginian-Pilot.

The confusion may have been primarily generated by Anthony Dimarco, who filmed the fight. Dimarco told two different stories to two different sources. The Virginian-Pilot explains the sequence:

The boy who shot the video, Anthony Dimarco, a Granby High School student, appeared Tuesday night [Sept 25] on Fox's "Hannity & Colmes." He said then that the fight was "supposed to be a funny, one-on-one fight" between friends, and was destined to be posted on the MySpace or YouTube Internet sites.

Dimarco described the circumstances differently to The Virginian-Pilot the next day. Damian had gotten into a disagreement and was going to fight another youth, he said. He [Dimarco] said somebody suggested it be filmed for MySpace, and that he had a digital camera in his pocket to shoot skateboarding. Then, he said, Damian was "jumped" by several others.

The whole thing was initially sparked, he said, when one boy "flipped off" another.

Galligan said police have spoken with Dimarco and are "satisfied that this was not a staged event."

"I wouldn't put much credence on what these kids say when a camera is thrust in front of them," Galligan said. "It's a bit problematic. They're kids."


So now we know the fight wasn't staged. It also appears that O'Rourke may have been expecting to fight.

What has not been satisfactorily explained is why seven blacks jumped him. If race wasn't the issue, why did seven blacks gang up on him?

However, only six of the blacks participated enough to be charged with mob assault, which carries a one year prison sentence and a $2,500 fine. At the preliminary hearing on Wednesday, the judge released all six to the custody of their parents and set an October 31st trial date.

Click HERE for all previous posts on this case.

No comments: